Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Holy Aioli!!

I went out to dinner with one of my girlfriends last night to enjoy the patio weather. I decided I needed to order something a little more healthy than I normally would, considering my conspicuous consumption over the past week (month). I decided to order the Mahi Mahi, which is one of my absolute favorites, but I wanted to sub out the butter based sauce it came with for a healthier alternative. Ok, I didn't want to. The tightness of my pants at that point compelled me to.

Now I have been to this restaurant a bunch in the past. One of those times was when a couple associates and I took out our summer clerks. We had some special that came with a magic orangish sauce that was literally like condiment-crack it was so good. Of course I was too drunk at that point to remember anything about it other than how delicious it was. The next day I asked one of the other associates I was with what that sauce was because I HAD to find a recipe for it and he told me "chipotle aioli."

Needless to say I'm actually very lazy and so I never followed up on finding a recipe for the aioli. If I HAD I would have known that it's a mayo-based sauce that isn't healthy. At all.

So, I'm at this restaurant and I asked to sub out the butter sauce for their delicious chipotle aioli instead. What came out on top of my fish was definitely not what I remembered. In fact, it looked something like:


Now I was REALLY confused because I remembered the crack-sauce being orange and salsa-ish. So, the lack of texture was my (the wine's) fault, but the color really was WAY off. What in the gelatinous hell was on my fish!? I took my fork and pushed the blob off my fish and decided I was too hungry to send it back. I would just ignore the slime trail it left on my delicious Mahi Mahi. Lesson learned.

This morning though I was still vexed about the clear disconnect between what I thought my fish would be served with, and what it was actually served with. After an extensive Google images search I've determined that I got aioli, it just wasn't of the delicious chipotle variety. Clearly I am still craving that crack-sauce, so I'm headed home tonight to make it and I've included the recipe below.

FYI...I plan of serving it with my Gordon's fisherman tilapia squares. Who is high class now!?!

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
2 minced garlic cloves
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder or chipotle hot sauce
Salt and pepper

XOXO,

BlogMePretty

No comments:

Post a Comment